GTC EXTREME WEATHER POLICY
As an incorporated body, Geelong Touring Cyclists Inc has a duty of care to ensure the safety of riders on club rides. As weather and environmental conditions can affect the safety and well-being of ride participants, this policy aims to clarify the specific conditions and subsequent processes involved in ensuring a safe riding environment.
Environmental conditions covered by this policy include excessive heat or cold, high wind, rain and storms, fog causing low visibility, dust storms and smoke.
- Conditions causing cancellation of official rides. These conditions are for the ride area and during the period of the ride.
- BOM prediction of temperature conditions of over 35 deg or below 0 deg.
- BOM predicted gale force wind velocity
- EPA air quality alert of Hazardous dust or smoke
- For other weather and environmental conditions that have the potential to impact on the ride, if the ride leader considers these dangerous considering the nature of the ride and potential riders, they can
- Change the route of ride length, or
- Cancel the ride.
- Action by ride leader
- As early as feasible, ideally prior to 8:00pm the evening before:
- the webmaster should be advised of any changes.
- the web master should update the ride listing on the website.
- the ride leader should add note the ride change on the GTC Inc WhatsApp forum.
- The ride sub-committee chair should also be advised
- Extreme weather during a ride
In the event of the weather deteriorating during a ride impacting on the safety of riders, the leader should consult with participants as to whether to change the intended route or continue.
Version 1.1 Last updated 20200415
Note that a cancelled ride ceases to be an official club ride.